It turns out that I was a bit overenthusiastic about what I could finish in a day. My predictions in the last post did not come true, and I still have a lot to do before installing the floors. Still, the house is coming together nicely.
I started today’s build off by painting the interior rooms. Here is one last shot of the all-white interior:
I wanted to go with a purple-grey-black-and-white sort of color scheme for everything, so I painted two rooms grey and two rooms purple since the floors and trim will be white and the furniture is mostly black.
Since my little house does not have side windows on the downstairs floor, I tried to use lighter colors down below and darker colors upstairs. The purples ended up looking fairly similar in the end, but I don’t think it looks bad.
It was very hard to photograph this, but I painted two out of the three walls in the living room grey and left the last wall white.
I did this so I could add a mural here in this room to liven it up.
The image was printed on card stock and then glued on with tacky glue. I really like how this little mural turned out, and I’m probably going to try putting one in all the dollhouses I make (if I make more after this one).
From here, I started working on installing the windows and doors. It took a lot longer than I had planned because I now have to paint lots of tiny pieces before I can glue anything together.
I’m pretty frustrated that the window and door installations seem sloppy compared to a lot of other things about this house. I just don’t have the dexterity/access to place the indoor window pane or the indoor frames neatly. I have to place them somewhere close enough and then slide them into place, resulting in visible glue and visible plastic sheeting poking out. Ah well. These windows will be mostly covered by furniture anyway.
I’m hopeful that this is just a problem with these teeny windows and the other windows will be nicer.
Here are the links to the rest of the assembly posts.